Pearl is interested in Geology. She has asked to learn more about this subject. Lately we have been learning about cave formations as there are so many interesting caves in our area. She is also interested in the more general topic of Geology. So we started with Plate Tectonics. I read an article from education.com to her and the we watched a short video for kids about it. Naturally she said she already knew all of it. So she suggested we watched the second half of a Magic School Bus Rides Again episode that is about the transformation of rocks through the Rock Cycle. Afterward she made the connection that the Rock Cycle was directly related to Plate Tectonics. Pearl has a lot of knowledge on the subject already. The Earth Science area of the Te Papa Museum has a lot of great interactive displays that illustrate what is actually happening, and we have spent many hours there over the years. After the lesson, I recorded what she knew. Then I asked her to make a comic relating to Plate Tectonics. This is what she created below. I think we may go over vocabulary around the different ways that the plates move tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment