Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Writing Every Day


Pearl is an amazing writer. She reads a great variety of books and we read together. This gives her great knowledge and understanding of the features of different types of writing as well as extends her vocabulary. I find she is the most free with her writing when I don't put too many parameters around it, and it is viewed as something that is a part of every day life verses an assignment. For example, at the moment, Pearl is writing a book. Her goal is to write a chapter book about two girls who turn into dragons. She has written about five pages single spaced on the tablet and is nowhere near finished. I have given her very little feedback. But I do expect her to write ever day. When she is finished, she will edit her work. This is where she will learn about paragraphs, indentations quotations, and varying her word choice. She wants to turn it into a book and have it printed. Then she wants to donate a copy to the library.
If she does not want to write her story, she can journal and write about her day.
I also try to find way to incorporate writing into every day life. Today, the kids and I sat down and researched kid friendly dinner ideas. Pearl made a list of what sounded good. Then we had her little brother underline everything that they decided would be good for this week's menu. It was great seeing her use her writing in an everyday context. Because it was also informal, Pearl didn't feel any pressure to spell correctly, which means she didn't get stuck when she wasn't sure about spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment